Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Some Art Lessons for Littles (and the not so little)  (Read 662 times)

Inaruti

• Members
Some Art Lessons for Littles (and the not so little)
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
Hello All!

With homeschooling being a new reality for many parents in the US (and around the world) right now, I have come up with some art lessons for those who are not accustomed to homeschooling. This is to say, that these "beginner" lessons are for parents (and their children) who may have been caught off guard, have little art supplies at hand, and who may still rely on the Internet for guidance (of which can be a dangerous place for our youth).

So these lessons are are guided with links accompanied by simple projects so as not to overwhelm already overwhelmed families.

The first lesson is for 4th-8th graders. I will post here with photos and links, please share with the parents that you know may benefit, even if their kiddos are younger, I think that some first time homeschooling parents would appreciate the extra activity.

Title
Women in Arts: Marie Cassatt

Grade level
4-8 grades

Overview

Marie Cassatt was born in 1844 near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She loved to draw as a child and against her family’s wishes, she began studying painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia at the early age of 15. Cassatt grew impatient with the patronizing attitude of the male students and teachers, she decided to study the old masters on her own. She later moved to Paris, France in 1866 but found that she couldn’t study alongside men because she was a woman, so she studied under a private tutor. She later became accepted by a new group of artists who tried to steer away from the old-fashioned way of painting, the Impressionists. Cassatt found the new way of painting exciting and decided to create her own work in that style. Her later work became famous around the world and mostly focused on women and children.

Objective
•   Students will learn about the artist Mary Cassatt and her contributions to the Impressionism Movement
•   Students will learn how to critique works of art done by Marie Cassatt
•   Students will create a piece based on one of Marie Cassatt’s works

Materials
Paper
Pencil
Markers or crayons

Activities and procedures

•   Students will view video “Biography of Mary Cassatt for Kids: Famous Artists for Children” on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzElAusnaAs&feature=youtu.be

•   Students will answer the following questions:
o   Why did Marie Cassatt decide to leave the US and move to Paris?
o   When she arrived in Paris, how did she study painting?
o   Instead of painting realistically, what did Impressionists want to do in their paintings?
o   What did France award Marie Cassatt in 1904?

•   Students are then asked to choose a painting of Marie Cassatt from the ones provided, and draw a similar scene but use people that they know OR students can choose one of the paintings and describe what is going on in the painting and give a reason why they like the painting.

Mother and Child, 1890
https://images.app.goo.gl/3vWGrrYpL9M3y5TQA

Mother Combing Child's Hair
https://images.app.goo.gl/CpHRBNzExAGbv9gG8

The Tea
https://images.app.goo.gl/A9CA6HzfEvCMYqjG8
'Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.' -Miyamoto Musashi

ilinda

Re: Some Art Lessons for Littles (and the not so little)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 10:43:00 AM »
Wow, Inaruti, you have come up with a novel way to  begin teaching art, and it should really open students' eyes, whether children or adults, as many, including myself, have never heard of Marie Cassatt. 

Inaruti

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
Wow, Inaruti, you have come up with a novel way to  begin teaching art, and it should really open students' eyes, whether children or adults, as many, including myself, have never heard of Marie Cassatt.

Thank you, ilinda! I will post more later this evening :)
For those of us who have things handy for the "just in case" scenarios, it's easy to forget that are many who are simply not prepared for these situations. My hope is to help keep the young minds busy in a familiar way so as not to exacerbate this  situation of which many families are facing.

Yowbarb

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:44:29 PM »
Welcome back! :)
Moderator Nativemom72 is now Inaruti.
I really love this new Topic. All the stir crazy kids and parents, what they need is more of the arts and music. :)
Marie Cassat has one of my favorite painters for a long time. What lovely, peaceful images.
Guess what! I learned some new things tonight!
All this time, I thought Marie Cassat was born in France not near Pittsburg. :)
Probably because of her name and the fact she is known to have painted in  France. I can understand why she went there.
:)
Barb T.

Yowbarb

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »

For those of us who have things handy for the "just in case" scenarios, it's easy to forget that are many who are simply not prepared for these situations. My hope is to help keep the young minds busy in a familiar way so as not to exacerbate this  situation of which many families are facing.

Inaruti, I really agree, this is new territory for so many people right now, hard to believe so many people are now home from work and school. Who wuld evr think this would happen... They really do need help and support and lesson plans and new things to learn about...stuff to do. i will share your post far and wide,
Thank You,
Barb T.

Inaruti

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »

Inaruti, I really agree, this is new territory for so many people right now, hard to believe so many people are now home from work and school. Who wuld evr think this would happen... They really do need help and support and lesson plans and new things to learn about...stuff to do. i will share your post far and wide,
Thank You,
Barb T.

Thank you, Barb, I hope this helps even it's just one family!

Inaruti

Inaruti

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »
Hello All!

Here is another fun one :D want to have fun with Polka dots?
Well let's learn about this next Artist:

Title:
Women in Arts: Yayoi Kusama

K-8 grades

Overview:
Yayoi Kusama was born in 1929 in Matsumoto, Nagano, Japan.  Kusama’s family well to do and owned a plant nursery and seed farm.  She started creating art at an early age, but her family was not supportive of her creative endeavors and tried to discourage her. When Kusama was ten years old, she began to experience hallucinations which she has described as "flashes of light, auras, or dense fields of dots". Eventually, when she grew older, Kusama’s parents decided to let her go to art school and study painting. By the 1950s, Kusama moved to New York city because the city was a booming hub of creativity at the time. She became friends with notable artists like Andy Warhol and created lots of paintings and performances which influenced Pop artists and Minimalist artists alike. In 1973, Kusama decided to move back to Japan. Upon her return, she voluntarily admitted herself into a mental hospital of which she continues to reside to this day, leaving during the day to work in her studio and returns to the hospital at night.

Objectives:
•   Students will learn about the artist Yayoi Kusama and her work that she refers to as “obsessional art”
•   Students will learn how to critique works of art done by Yayoi Kusama
•   Students will create a piece based on one of Yayoi Kusama’s works

Materials:
Paper
Pencil
Markers or crayons
Paint or ink

Activities and procedures :
•   Students will view videos on YouTube “Yayoi Kusama’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Els2gFMTU-Y&feature=youtu.be (best for older children)
"Kusama From Here to Infinity" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUoDUhsWJL8 (best for younger children)

•   Students will answer the following questions:
o   Why do you think Yayoi Kusama calls herself an “obsessional artist”?
o   What made Yayoi Kusama start drawing and painting with dots?
o   What are the different ways in which Yayoi Kusama creates art?

•   Students are asked to create a drawing or a painting that will fill the whole page with dots! The dots can vary in size or be the same in size, they can vary in color, and there can be dots within dots- the possibilities are endless!
OR students can choose one of Kusama’s works provided and give a reason why they like the art piece. 

Infinity Mirrored Room

Ascension of Polka Dots on Trees

"Drawing of Kusama's Mother" (Kusama was 10 years old when she drew this!)

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »
Very exciting lesson plans, and timely as well - Thanks Inaruti for enriching the boards with your material and your presence!  :)

ilinda

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »
And doesn't that "Infinity Mirrored Room" remind one of the night sky?  Absolutely lovely.

Yowbarb

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »
And doesn't that "Infinity Mirrored Room" remind one of the night sky?  Absolutely lovely.

Yes, that is really lovely!

Inaruti

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
Very exciting lesson plans, and timely as well - Thanks Inaruti for enriching the boards with your material and your presence!  :)

Thank you R.R. Book! Any way I can help :D

Inaruti

Inaruti

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 06:43:46 PM »

Oh yes! ilinda, I would love to experience her work in person, it looks amazing! I think children would get a kick from them too :D

Inaruti

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW