Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Survival List Example  (Read 20963 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival List Example
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
I find some sci-fi to be depressing, but it does tend to open our minds and warn us to what may become trends in the future, such as Bradbury's and Orwell's writing do.  I loved the original Star Trek series though, and have often fallen back upon those storylines to comprehend current and future events.  Also enjoyed the White Mountains trilogy and Tolkien.  My sons never got into those books and films, so I never pushed them in that direction, other than to make them aware of the warnings embedded in the fiction.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:34:56 AM by R.R. Book »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Survival library
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:59 PM »
understand there are many novels in my library. I have taken to heart warnings about people getting bored. Remember the days when good movies were few and far between? When there was nothing to watch on TV? No YouTube?
If we've years without such entertainment ahead of us, limited choice in novels will quickly become boring.

I've never actually sold anything through Ebay and the few bucks it might offer in sales hardly seems worth the trouble. Maybe some day, though. Just some sci-fi anyway, though good books for sure. Of course if one doesn't appreciate scifi, one will not appreciate my 31 Alan Dean Fosters, my 21 Philip K Dick, my Heinleins, Asimovs, Herberts, etc. ... ;-)

Socrates, what an excellent collection.
What a good idea to create a real survival library...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:15:32 PM by Yowbarb »

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
library; quality over quantity [but...]
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
I find some sci-fi to be depressing
As with any field of knowledge, it takes those with experience to recon the field for you.
For instance, i know just-about-nothing of jazz, but i recognize that there must be much worthwhile jazz about. Unfortunately, i have neither time nor inclination to work my way through a century of jazz...
Similarly, there are scifi classics, good scifi and mediocre scifi; i mentioned a few trustworthy authors and that's because i know quality is often based on author. For instance, i once read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; broad in scope, detailed and well written. Also: utterly depressing...! So, yeah, not in my library. Therefore, i avoid anything by Stephen R. Donaldson like the plague. [btw, more fantasy than scifi, but same principle.]

There's much wondeful scifi out there; for instance, i've never run into a Heinlein novel that was not amazing. So anything Heinlein goes.
Same with Alan Dean Foster [another prolific writer]; hence my collection of 31 of his. That he also wrote both Alien and Star Trek novels is just bonus.
Maybe it's just been about luck; yeah, i've read a few bad scifi novels in my time, but largely my experience has been opportune. Hence [perhaps] my love for the genre.

Talking about a survival library, there are a number of considerations, like:
- what does it say about our time?
- entertainment value
- quality [duh]
- what about the trappings of our time?
- what about the promises of our time?

For instance, i've a great love for the novels of both Michael Crighton and James Michener; both put vast amounts of research into making their novels. Therefore, just reading their work is both inspirational as well as educational. Such a nice way of becoming informed (as far as i'm concerned). Hence, i've acquired all the Crighton and Michener i could (affordably) get my hands on. Michener is more historical while Crighton is more philosophical and technical [though sometimes also quite historical, as his first novel suggests The Eaters of the Dead/The 13th Warrior [not for nothing have many of his books been made into movies].
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:20:33 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
Didn't Crighton also write A Case of Need many, many years ago?  I had thought it must have been one of his first.

As for sci-fi, I've loved it for most of my life, but must admit there's a lot of "fluff" sci-fi written, IMHO, by wannabe sci-fi authors.   But some is so good that it will "take you away from here" and, while you read, you will forget to eat, drink, and sleep.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2018, 04:15:18 AM »
Crichton was indeed the author of A Case of Need.  My favorite novel of his was The Andromeda Strain. 

It wasn't long after that novel was written, in which scientists had overlooked the importance of pH, that it was discovered that pH was an important factor in preventing and fighting cancer in alternative medicine.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!