Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Survival clothing ideas - a timeless subject  (Read 9689 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival clothing ideas - a timeless subject
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
Just adding a nod to Montanabarb's post of several years ago on this thread that it's important not to overlook good quality socks in prepping.  In our climate, we begin needing warm socks in September and usually don't stop wearing them until the end of May.  Last fall the 4 of us were getting pretty desperate for socks, having worn out most of our not-so-old cottons.  I searched for a thicker kind and ended up finding a good bargain on Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks, which were under $10 for a twin-pack at Walmart.  They are heavy acrylic with an especially durable heel, toe and top.  Had set a little fund aside for stocking up in hopes that these would last well into the aftertime.  Filled a small blanket chest full of them when they went on sale, and so far, the menfolk have not been able to destroy these.   :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
COTTON KILLS and other basics
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »
How to dress for the cold
Wranglerstar once put out 2 basic vids on clothing that helped my understanding of the matter immensely.
Enjoy.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
Just adding a nod to Montanabarb's post of several years ago on this thread that it's important not to overlook good quality socks in prepping.  In our climate, we begin needing warm socks in September and usually don't stop wearing them until the end of May.  Last fall the 4 of us were getting pretty desperate for socks, having worn out most of our not-so-old cottons.  I searched for a thicker kind and ended up finding a good bargain on Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks, which were under $10 for a twin-pack at Walmart.  They are heavy acrylic with an especially durable heel, toe and top.  Had set a little fund aside for stocking up in hopes that these would last well into the aftertime.  Filled a small blanket chest full of them when they went on sale, and so far, the menfolk have not been able to destroy these.   :)

R.R. Book, great info to know!
Thanks.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2017, 01:13:22 AM »
Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks
Ebay; added to Watchlist!
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
Dickies men's thermal steel toe crew socks
Ebay; added to Watchlist!

Socrates, that sounds like a really vital item...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
Just a little recap of some ideas I had posted at the beginning of this Topic, adding a little bit more:

I recommended that when people get their survival land they have some underground storage areas, perhaps a metal storage container would have to do. (If the land is pretty isolated and the camp is disguised, less chance of theft.)
Storage areas, including one for CLOTHING and MATERIALS to make clothing.
The exact best way to store these kind of items, I will have to look into better.
I suppose these things would help, for a start:
some de-mold crystals in a storage space, cedar chests, cedar hanging things for clothing hung up. I have used these little cedar hang-ups, they work well. Don't know for how long they are effective.
I would recommend purchasing some cedar chips...

Some other ideas, from previously:
I recommended having a good-sized stash of clothing for all ages, sizes.
There could come a time when jeans, socks, shoes, maternity clothes and baby clothes will be as precious as gold...
Of course, shirts, shorts, winter gear will be vital too...

Add to the list: sewing machines, including a cople foot pedal non electrical type,
lots of thread and needles.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
And for those on a budget, there are thrift stores, some of which have even greater bargains than the stuff hanging on the racks. 

For example, in Ironton, MO, there is Open Hearts, a thrift store whose proceeds go to the local animal shelter, with low-cost spay/neuter program as well.  Friends of ours wanted to insulate a new building's ceiling, and didn't want spend a fortune.  They talked to the good folks at Open Hearts and discovered that in addition to all the many racks of clothing in the store, there are huge bags of clothing that are sold for pennies on the pound, and the bags that are not sold are picked up by some outfit in St. Louis who then reprocesses them.

IOW, when the racks are full, any new donations Open Hearts receives are stuffed into the huge bags, and sit in the back room waiting for pickup.  Friends then bought some of the bags for their insulation project.  They told us that in addition to plenty of insulating material, they found many nice items of clothing.  So I bought some bags, and I, too, found a few nice things, including a 100% wool coat, perfect size.

The bags contain adults and childrens clothng, in any mix.  It's a gamble, but each bag may cost less than a dollar.  Worth the gamble.  Check out any of the thrift stores that have excess donations and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
And for those on a budget, there are thrift stores, some of which have even greater bargains than the stuff hanging on the racks. 

For example, in Ironton, MO, there is Open Hearts, a thrift store whose proceeds go to the local animal shelter, with low-cost spay/neuter program as well.  Friends of ours wanted to insulate a new building's ceiling, and didn't want spend a fortune.  They talked to the good folks at Open Hearts and discovered that in addition to all the many racks of clothing in the store, there are huge bags of clothing that are sold for pennies on the pound, and the bags that are not sold are picked up by some outfit in St. Louis who then reprocesses them.

IOW, when the racks are full, any new donations Open Hearts receives are stuffed into the huge bags, and sit in the back room waiting for pickup.  Friends then bought some of the bags for their insulation project.  They told us that in addition to plenty of insulating material, they found many nice items of clothing.  So I bought some bags, and I, too, found a few nice things, including a 100% wool coat, perfect size.

The bags contain adults and childrens clothng, in any mix.  It's a gamble, but each bag may cost less than a dollar.  Worth the gamble.  Check out any of the thrift stores that have excess donations and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Great ideas! One thing I can find at my local thrift store is thermals. I wash them up really good...use a little Oxy hot water and re-rinse, dry well. Thermal sets and winter jackets and sweaters washed and mailed up to NYC to someone I know...came in handy up in the New York winter. I noticed that the army ads had new thermal pants, pretty reasonably priced. I needed thermals this winter, even here in FL actually got that cold for a few nights...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
The plain folk operate several thrift shops in this area to benefit charity, and here are some of my favorite finds over the years:

*a pair of heavy wooden shelf brackets that I used for remodeling project
*nice winter coats (L.L. Bean, etc.)
*vintage sewing patterns
*all metal model train
*complete sheet sets in new condition
*a hand-crocheted afghan
*throw pillows that matched the sofa
*antique children's books
*wheelbarrow
*glass hurricane lamp
*a children's organ and bench
*a pair of bicycles

Pretty much anything you can imagine can be found for pennies on the dollar!

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!