Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: HAM RADIO and Other Communications  (Read 18608 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
HAM RADIO and Other Communications
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:38 PM »
We used to have a thread on the old town Hall about ham radios.
Post here your ideas on ham radio use. I am sure some Members already have ham radios and
are knowledgeable on their use.
Many of us will need to purchase a ham, learn the rudiments of operating one, and many need to
purchase one. Below is an excerpt from Zetatalk on ham radios,
Yowbarb

ZetaTalk Chat Q&A for November 6, 2010
"My question has to do with clarification of the communications issue...."

Answer:
"We have advised those serious about communications in the Aftertime to focus on short wave radio which is today the emergency communication mode of choice. Governments, worldwide, use short wave radio in emergencies because of its durability and ability to operate out in the field, with only a crank box to generate electricity. Short wave of course includes CB or Ham radios, which are just alternate names and operate in the high frequency range as does short wave. CB, i.e. citizens band, states that these radio frequencies are in the hands of the common man, and Ham radio states that amateurs use these frequencies. Short wave does not require extremely high towers and high voltage equipment, thus its ability to function during emergencies. The grid might go down, but crank electric transmitter/receivers are used by the military to support short wave in the field. High towers might topple during the pole shift, but short wave has the ability to transmit from hill top to hill top, from one short wave user to another, and to bounce off the ionosphere or even the Moon if conditions are right.

More than voice can be communicated if neighbors are prepared to transmit packets of digital information, from PC to PC, so that email or even crude graphics could be transmitted. Packet relay requires that the ability to transmit digital packets exists from start to end point, with any boost points along the way likewise having this facility. When we stated that angels will on occasion assist in getting the messages to their destination we were not stating any MHz range restrictions! Obviously, if a large area were under the control of highly Service-to-Other leaders and were able to support a radio station operating under am/fm frequencies, this would not be exempt from assistance. This setup is unlikely, however, given than any government enclaves struggling to reassert themselves as the governing body would likely be the only ones in the region to have the voltage and equipment for such a setup. Even if survivors were to establish a station, it would be more easily detected than short wave setups, so that looting gangs could hone in on the survival community. Short wave, used in short bursts, does not support that type of tracking."

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: HAM RADIO and Other Communications
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

Wikipedia

Amateur radioFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Ham radio" redirects here.

Amateur radio, often called ham radio, is both a hobby and a service in which participants, called "hams", use various types of radio communications equipment to communicate with other radio amateurs for public services, recreation and self-training.[1]

The term "amateur" is used to differentiate it from commercial and professional two-way radio services. Amateur radio operation is licensed by an appropriate government entity (for example, by the Federal Communications Commission in the United States[2]) as coordinated through the International Telecommunication Union.[3]

An estimated two million people throughout the world are regularly involved with amateur radio.[
.........[continues]...

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
Augie, you have to pass an FCC test first, to operate one. Then there are certain places to buy. I have a friend just now getting his 6 meter radio, and is gonna take the test soon. I think he said it costs $15 to take it, and it's quite extensive. His gear will cost him over one thousand dollars if I heard him right.   ed

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
The biggest use of communications equip't for me will be if I have to be away from my wife at times. I will want the ability to contact her. Depending on who's out there, and what technology they have, I could be triangulated in a matter of seconds. I will only use the walkie talkies for emergency radio, or to contact wife.   ed

errrv

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
I have a wouxun KG-UDV1P dual band handheld HAM radio. I have already received long range communications from 2 states away. You can easily attach a dipole antenna or longwire & really increase that distance.
Erv

VillageIdiot

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »
I have a wouxun KG-UDV1P dual band handheld HAM radio. I have already received long range communications from 2 states away. You can easily attach a dipole antenna or longwire & really increase that distance.
Erv
I ordered one of these last week per your recommendation, and it should arrive this week. Since you're only 1.5 states away from me I'd like to run a quick test. Do you have any specific long distance antenna suggestions?
Live long and prosper!

errrv

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
Run to radio shack & get:
Bnc to coax connector that will fit your antenna jack, 10-15 ft coax cable, cobra head connector, 17 or 33 feet of insulated wire (for ease of freq changes).

Looks like this:

insulator=~

~0-0------------------< 17/33 ft longwire >-------------/~||
    |                                                                                 
    |
    |
   /\
 10 ft coax ( donot cross or coil)
   \/
    |
    |
 To: ant coax input
0-0 = cobra head. The 17 ft longwire comes from the Dutch military, the 33 ft longwire a universal/works all crews antenna.

Basically coax out of antenna connector. Coax up 10 feet or so for elevation to cobra head. Longwire to one leg of longwire. Suspend parallel/ level  to ground, with insulators on both ends (can be plastic spoon, rubber bands, etc). longwire will be perpendicular & on azimuth to Tulsa ok.

Or you can try it with the antenna that comes with it. Depending on solar circumstances etc, we can see what will work. Lots of anamolies going on lately.
Call me when ur ready to shoot!
Erv

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »
Erv, Does the KG-UDV1P operate mainly in the 2 meter band?   I guess they are mainly used with repeaters to get the distances you mentioned.

For the price I am going to get one, they would have to be better than Cb's if repeaters go down.

errrv

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:24:47 AM »
I have done quite a bit of research on civilian HAM radios. I always thought the HAM was the equivalent of the military HF radios. Military HF works from 1 MHz to generally 30.00 MHz. I know these crews well, however if solar activity is high, you lose the ability to make a long range shot. Our radios were 20 watts output power, which you can increase the gain of by 16db by going to a full wave antenna.

The civilian HAM radio I have operates: 136-174 MHz & 400-480 MHz. These are UHF freqs, and I am very familiar with UHF. It is definitely the most clear frequency range there is. Pilots use this range, as well as space operations and satellite communications.

To build a field expedient antenna for UHF, you need either a Yagi antenna format, or a heck of a lot of wire for a quarter wave antenna.

I also still have an antenna handbook if anyone wants a copy, pm me with your email address.
It also discusses wave propogation theory.
Erv

Tiburon

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
I have just received my General HAM class priviledges!  If anyone else is interested in communication alternatives (other than cellular) please contact me for preparedness ideas!!!

Hope to hear from you!

PS: I am also a AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) employee, and can help you
      with pricing  URL:  http://aesham.com/     8)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:39:37 PM by The GW »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:58:54 AM »
I have just received my General HAM class priviledges!  If anyone else is interested in communication alternatives (other than cellular) please contact me for preparedness ideas!!!

Hope to hear from you!

PS: I am also a AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) employee, and can help you
      with pricing  URL:  http://aesham.com/     8)

The GW - that is awesome news!!
Glad to see someone posting here...important topic!
- Yowbarb

Tiburon

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
You bet Barb!

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Excellent GW...Good for you!!  :D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
You bet Barb!

I think I will make an announcement in Member Notices about this Topic...
Maybe more people will see it...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
OK so I put up a reminder about this ham Topic in Member Notices...
- Yowbarb
.................................................................................................

Don't miss this Topic, Ham radio communications for the Aftertime
« on: Today at 09:55:13 AM »

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=4681.msg64920#msg64920

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...