Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Make your own gear  (Read 1865 times)

Icon

Make your own gear
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Haven't checked everything out yet, but looks to have a lot of "how to make" ideas for all types of gear.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

SincerestSawa

Re: Make your own gear
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »
not sure what kind of gear your talking about but i know i make crochett bags to fit my needs.
or sew together old clothing thats not worn anymore. you can modify existing bags, add pockets or
more convienant zippers especially if your going to be travelling with only one or two bags, and trust me
orginizing and packing your bag correctly pays off in space and how heavy it feels.

~Dianna

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Make your own gear
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »
not sure what kind of gear your talking about but i know i make crochett bags to fit my needs.
or sew together old clothing thats not worn anymore. you can modify existing bags, add pockets or
more convienant zippers especially if your going to be travelling with only one or two bags, and trust me
orginizing and packing your bag correctly pays off in space and how heavy it feels.

~Dianna

Dianna those are pretty good survival skills to have.  ;D
If people are able to revamp clothing and make things fit, make something else out of available
material etc.  they are already ahead of the game. In some previous Topic there was a discussion of
skills a person could trade with a community to obtain goods they need. This would be in the Aftertime, when - it's possible - there will not be the normal cash exchange for goods and services. Some people can exchange skills, jobs for goods. Sewing and mending and making clothing were high on the list of what will be needed.  Also if a person is stuck out on the outside and they are handy at some trade
or skill, it's more possible they will be taken in by a survival group. (Previous discussions of goods with which to barter and exchangeable skills.)
Well, regarding what type of gear, this is from the site that was posted by ICON:

Make Your Own Gear, Recommended Reading
Building Snowshoes
Adventure With Polarfleece : A Sewing Expedition
More Polarfleece Adventures : The Journey Continues
Sew the New Fleece : Techniques With Synthetic Fleece and Pile
Polar Magic : New Adventures With Fleece
Sewing Outdoor Gear : Easy Techniques for Outerwear That Works
Sew and Repair Your Outdoor Gear
The Essential Outdoor Gear Manual: Equipment Care, Repair, and Selection
Made for the Outdoors : Over 40 Do-It-Yourself Projects for the Great Outdoors
The Ashley Book of Knots
The Complete Book of Sewing
Fabric Savvy : The Essential Guide for Every Sewer

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:15:01 AM by Yowbarb »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...