Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Sprouting  (Read 9015 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Sprouting
« on: April 01, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
I wanted to add this to our medicinal or healthy things to keep you going. Sprouts are full of valuable nutrition and can be easily done by anyone. Here's a couple links to get you started.

http://www.juicingbook.com/sprouts

http://www.nutritionfriend.com/The-Amazing-Benefits-of-Soaking-and-Sprouting/I63.htm
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

fox

• Members
Re: Sprouting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I have not read your links yet, but I will. I have read that sprouts can be an important survival food. We
may find ourselves in situations where we cannot grow a garden and no fresh vegetables are available.
Things like beans and rice are very low in vitamin C, but when beans, lentils, and other seeds are sprouted
the vitamin C is greatly increased. It could help us prevent scurvy.

fox

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:37:28 AM »
Proteins, vitamins, enzymes and minerals can increase by 300 - 1200%. Sprouts are amazing, I put some in smoothies,juices, sandwiches, salads and so on. I would start practicing making them now to build up your nutrition. Also sprouting legumes, grains, nuts and seeds makes digesting them much easier on your system. One of the reasons we don't assimilate our vitamins and minerals from food is improper digestion.

Thanks for your post fox, vitamin C will be a challenge if no fresh foods are available. One other way to get your vitamin C is fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, and so on. Fermenting will also be a skill we need to learn. I ferment vegetables every summer and eat throughout the winter. Another source is homemade kombucha tea, and kvass. These are very beneficial they provide good healthy bacteria for your body. You need the good bacteria to prevent the bad bacteria from taking over and causing illness and disease. They are loaded with enzymes for digestion and proper elimination, all very important.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1883

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-make-sauerkraut-other-fermented-vegetables/
make sure you watch the short video on this site where he demonstrates making the sauerkraut, you will see how very easy it is.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

mjoy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
Check out Ann Wigmore's story, and how she discovered sprouts:http://annwigmore.com/index.php/dr-ann-autobiography.html
There are even old videos of Ann teaching about sprouting on Youtube:  RARE Ann Wigmore Sprouting Video
Enjoy!
Sprouting is so much fun, and I use the water the sprouts soaked in to water plants, and to make sourdough starter!
Bye for now,
Mary

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »
Mary, I have made Ann's rejuvelac and use it also in green smoothies. Thanks for the link

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=382.0  Indoor food cultivation
This topic pulls together sprouts mushrooms etc. and will include some of my posts on sprouting
mushrooms yogurt, food drying etc from 2008.
All The Best,

Yowbarb
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:06:07 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
I agree sprouts are medicinal herbs as well as something to think about cultivating
and as well as a supplement to the diet.
;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Just a couple images of indoor sprouting under grow lights,

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
I only thought people grew pot under grow lamps. :) Just kidding. Not a bad idea if it was solar powered,or if those plants had a high retail price and it was profitablle.

Hi thrownrig I'm not an expert yet... on the old Town Hall we had lots of posts about plant growing with leds etc.
The last image I posted above is in Japan. Apparantly they are starting to incorporate green living spaces right in their offices, etc. Those are vegetables growing...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

jsorensens2

• Trusted Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
I just saw that sprouting has already been covered on the board, but that was after I typed all this up.  So that I don’t waste it, and so that it gets bumped up again, here’s my input.  Sprouts are incredibly valuable.  Here’s my two cents:

Grow and eat SPROUTS for maximum nutrition, now and in the aftertime!  Seeds, beans, sunflower type seeds, and grains all sprout and give you MAXIMUM NUTRITION, more than you can get from a mature plant!

Benefits:
1.  The seeds, beans and grains are tiny and store for many, many years.
2.  They are a powerhouse of nutrition:  protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and chlorophyll.
3.  No land is needed.
4.  Required:  Water, a bowl, and a strainer (or mesh bag).
5.  No cooking involved.
6.  So easy to grow, children can do it!

They are super easy to grow (indoors) and don’t take up much space.  All you need for the leafy type of sprouts is a little bit of indirect light for the last half of the sprouting time, but it doesn’t take much light for them to green up.  Sprouting beans and grains requires no light.  The only downside is that since you eat them in their infant state, there is no automatic seed production for the future.  But you can store a lot of seeds and beans now, which take up little space.  They are easily transported should you need to relocate.

You don’t have to use this company as your source, but I can vouch for their quality and responsiveness.  Sproutpeople (http://sproutpeople.org) has everything you want to know about sprouts, and I mean everything!  And if there’s something that isn’t covered, shoot them an email. 

I have grown and eaten sprouts for 4 years now.  I constantly have leafy sprouts growing in my kitchen and stored in the frig (clover, arugula, cress, radish, feenugreek, dill, garlic).  I put them on sandwiches & salads and eat them plain.  I also sprout a variety of beans.  I just sprouted black beans, lentils, green split peas, pinto beans, white beans, pearly barley, red beans, adzuki beans and garbanzo beans, and I toss them in my salad or just eat them plain.  I also sprout grains and make granola and also I make a nutritious fermented drink out of rye (called rejuvelac, which also provides probiotics). 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
jsorensons2 thanks for your post! Please continue to share your knowledge here!
More later,
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
Solar Powered Indoor Hydroponic Tomato & Vegetable Garden  9:56

VIDEO LINK: http://youtu.be/YMSt6Al-9JU

Uploaded by swornabsent on Mar 5, 2011
This is an overview of my first hydroponics setup. It is a flood & drain system consisting of of a 4x4 grow area under a 250W HID light, with fans and pumps powered by a solar-charged battery, and a separate space dedicated to seed starting/cloning. Shoutout to happygameshow, check out his channel for more ideas (now at http://www.youtube.com/howtohydroponics)

Below is some pricing info (as of Jan 2011) for the 12v accessories I used. Everything save the timer is available via Amazon.

12vdc oscillating automotive fan with clip: $15
"Power Bubbles" 12vdc air pump: $36
Rule 24 360gph 12vdc water (bilge) pump: $17
12vdc digital timer (programmable): $20 (from eepsales.com)

For comparison purposes, what I would have purchased as 120vac equivalents if using an inverter:

6-inch clip fan: $11
20-gallon air pump: $12
~300gph water pump: ~$20
Digital, programmable timer: ~$10

The disparity in price for smaller-ticket items like these is pretty negligible if you're willing to research and shop around a bit.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
Indoor Kitchen Herb Container Garden and Seedlings Growing under LED Energy Saving Lights  9:07

VIDEO LINK:  http://youtu.be/kPk40617Kwc

Uploaded by growingyourgreens on Jun 12, 2010
John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com takes a field trip to Las Vegas to visit Jason's House. Jason is growing in containers in his kitchen using fluorescent lighting and using Energy Saving LED Panel lights upstairs where he is starting seeds and growing seedlings.
Final Update on indoor hydroponic kitchen herb garden.   3:38

VIDEO LINK:  http://youtu.be/rMtQEypW6wU

Uploaded by Jksax914 on Jan 14, 2011
This the final update. Everything is growing great and we have plenty of fresh herbs. I'll continue to grow the herbs just no more updates on these. Thanks for watching and please subscribe!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
I am now sprouting some aduki (adzuki) beans. They started out sort of accidentally and doing it without instructions so far but wow they are really springing up now...
Potatoes and radishes, daikon radish sprouting too...about time to put them in a jar with water...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I just saw that sprouting has already been covered on the board, but that was after I typed all this up.  So that I don’t waste it, and so that it gets bumped up again, here’s my input.  Sprouts are incredibly valuable.  Here’s my two cents:

Grow and eat SPROUTS for maximum nutrition, now and in the aftertime!  Seeds, beans, sunflower type seeds, and grains all sprout and give you MAXIMUM NUTRITION, more than you can get from a mature plant!

Benefits:
1.  The seeds, beans and grains are tiny and store for many, many years.
2.  They are a powerhouse of nutrition:  protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and chlorophyll.
3.  No land is needed.
4.  Required:  Water, a bowl, and a strainer (or mesh bag).
5.  No cooking involved.
6.  So easy to grow, children can do it!

They are super easy to grow (indoors) and don’t take up much space.  All you need for the leafy type of sprouts is a little bit of indirect light for the last half of the sprouting time, but it doesn’t take much light for them to green up.  Sprouting beans and grains requires no light.  The only downside is that since you eat them in their infant state, there is no automatic seed production for the future.  But you can store a lot of seeds and beans now, which take up little space.  They are easily transported should you need to relocate.

You don’t have to use this company as your source, but I can vouch for their quality and responsiveness.  Sproutpeople (http://sproutpeople.org) has everything you want to know about sprouts, and I mean everything!  And if there’s something that isn’t covered, shoot them an email. 

I have grown and eaten sprouts for 4 years now.  I constantly have leafy sprouts growing in my kitchen and stored in the frig (clover, arugula, cress, radish, feenugreek, dill, garlic).  I put them on sandwiches & salads and eat them plain.  I also sprout a variety of beans.  I just sprouted black beans, lentils, green split peas, pinto beans, white beans, pearly barley, red beans, adzuki beans and garbanzo beans, and I toss them in my salad or just eat them plain.  I also sprout grains and make granola and also I make a nutritious fermented drink out of rye (called rejuvelac, which also provides probiotics).

Good info, thanks for sharing,
Yowbarb

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...