Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Forget WiFi, Connect to the Internet Through Lightbulbs  (Read 3355 times)

inselemel

Forget WiFi, Connect to the Internet Through Lightbulbs
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
Hi, i do not have a scoopy doo about this sort of thing but i thought it might be of interest to you, peeps here on the TH. You may have heard of this before but i thought i would post it anyway.  ;D I hope you guys/gals can understand it.
I got the link from kipnews.org http://www.kipnews.org/2012/04/23/forget-wifi-connect-to-the-internet-through-lightbulbs/

"Whether you’re using wireless internet in a coffee shop, stealing it from the guy next door, or competing for bandwidth at a conference, you’ve probably gotten frustrated at the slow speeds you face when more than one device is tapped into the network. As more and more people—and their many devices—access wireless internet, clogged airwaves are going to make it increasingly difficult to latch onto a reliable signal.

But radio waves are just one part of the spectrum that can carry our data. What if we could use other waves to surf the internet?

One German physicist, Harald Haas, has come up with a solution he calls “data through illumination”—taking the fiber out of fiber optics by sending data through an LED lightbulb that varies in intensity faster than the human eye can follow. It’s the same idea behind infrared remote controls, but far more powerful.

Haas says his invention, which he calls D-Light, can produce data rates faster than 10 megabits per second, which is speedier than your average broadband connection. He envisions a future where data for laptops, smartphones, and tablets is transmitted through the light in a room. And security would be a snap—if you can’t see the light, you can’t access the data.

You can imagine all kinds of uses for this technology, from public internet access through street lamps to auto-piloted cars that communicate through their headlights. And more data coming through the visible spectrum could help alleviate concerns that the electromagnetic waves that come with WiFi could adversely affect your health. Talk about the bright side."

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Forget WiFi, Connect to the Internet Through Lightbulbs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
Mel, wow! Amazing stuff! I hope this man and this technology survives the coming times.

ASEEKERTOO

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Great Find. Ingenuity at its best !
Ancient Prophecy appears to be fulfilled in the Nightly News.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
Great Find. Ingenuity at its best !

I love hearing about this stuff...gives me hope for the future. :)

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
That sound wild but the only drawback is it would have to be line of sight with no obstructions, so the distance it could travel would be very short due to the curvature of the Earth and weather which would also limit satellite use due to clouds the light would be blocked?

inselemel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
I am just glad someone understands it! ;D

p.s. i think the http://www.kipnews.org/ is quite worth a look as well where i got the info!

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!