Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Passing on skills to your children  (Read 9968 times)

Linda

• Prolific Member
Passing on skills to your children
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
I have been trying in the last couple years to teach my two daughers some of my traditional skills, and ones that will come in handy should we lose our comfortable convienences.  I taught them home canning, (one daughter was open to it, one thought it was way too much work). But they were still exposed, and I feel it's at least inbedded in their mind somewhere. I also taught them fermenting and sprouting.

My husband and I are working with our youngest son this summer he is starting his own garden at his house. We have also shown him how to make and use a rain barrel. So those are a few of the things we have done. Oh my husband has shown all his boys how to build simple stuff with wood and use different tools. Every thing matters. We also have taken our kids camping in the past, so they learned the art of a campfire and tent life. We never did own a camper, i quit going because we constantly got rained on! ;D  I came from a family of hunters and fisherman, so I have some of that ingrained in me as well. I can pluck a mean duck, and skin a rabbit. :D Just kidding!

I was wondering if any of you have ideas, or have spent time passing on your wisdom and survival skills to your kids.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:52:56 PM by Linda »
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Pbutter72

Re: Passing on skills to your children
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
That is wonderful, Linda!

I have little boy and we've been gardening and sprouting--We're also working on some simple tasks like sewing and hand-washing clothes.
He also wants to make a Macana (a traditional Taino war club). I've worked with wood before so it'll be our little side project this summer!

Blessings
pB

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »
Thats great PB, kids always remember things like that. Plus it's the joy of spending time together and creating.

take care,
Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
I have been trying in the last couple years to teach my two daughers some of my traditional skills, and ones that will come in handy should we lose our comfortable convienences.  I taught them home canning, (one daughter was open to it, one thought it was way too much work). But they were still exposed, and I feel it's at least inbedded in their mind somewhere. I also taught them fermenting and sprouting.

My husband and I are working with our youngest son this summer he is starting his own garden at his house. We have also shown him how to make and use a rain barrel. So those are a few of the things we have done. Oh my husband has shown all his boys how to build simple stuff with wood and use different tools. Every thing matters. We also have taken our kids camping in the past, so they learned the art of a campfire and tent life. We never did own a camper, i quit going because we constantly got rained on! ;D  I came from a family of hunters and fisherman, so I have some of that ingrained in me as well. I can pluck a mean duck, and skin a rabbit. :D Just kidding!

I was wondering if any of you have ideas, or have spent time passing on your wisdom and survival skills to your kids.

Linda I really feel you are wise to do these things.
My kids have been exposed to some outdoor or rural living for a time and one of the four daughters
seemed to naturally take to canning (up in Portland OR at the time).  Son learned to camp out and shoot from his father... kids all took turns shooting a gun and I have... we are a long ways from really prepared. At least they do have the memory of being up aobut 8500 feet on the Colorado land and roughing it up there a little bit. They had it luxurious compared to when I was young and went to the Colorado place. At first just tents. We kept our perishables in the creek in a black iron box. Water was cold enough even in summer. We had a brick outdoor oven and top stove made by my Grandma I think. I plucked the wild grouse a couple times. My dad shot them and mom and I prepared them. They were so delicious! already tasted like sage from what they ate. We fished for trout. Kind of silly but my dad had to bait thehook for me. I throew in the line and pulled out one after another. Probably now I could deal with baiting the hook, hehe. My uncle killed deer and we had venison. Grandma Vina from Missouri had homesteaded it and went up there to camp alone up through age 80. She lived 94 years...
Also in WA state kids would remember me chopping wood and hauling water from a well and the pot bellied wood - burning stove we had. We had a little trailer in the WA woods. (Repeating myself here...hehe.)
As far as recent experiences or teaching not much...

Never went up to the Colo place in winter. My dad and brother went there one time in the 1930s. They had to snowshoe in. Across Strawberry Creek was a pack of wolves just standing looking at them. In the cabin they made a fire in the fireplace and brewed coffee. Dad told me they put the hot tin cups onto the wooden table; turned around, cups had frozen to the table. They were fairly young and tough... no one ever tried going up there in wintertime again. - Yowbarb

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
I hope this is as encouraging to everyone as it is for me.

I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Everything I need to know, I learned from Noah's Ark.

ONE: Don't miss the boat.

TWO: Remember that we are all in the same boat!

THREE: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

FOUR: Stay fit. When you're 60 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.

FIVE: Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.

SIX: Build your future on high ground.

SEVEN: For safety's sake, travel in pairs.

EIGHT: Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.

NINE: When you're stressed, float awhile.

TEN: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.

ELEVEN: No matter the storm, when you are with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart

Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

errrv

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
Will, I really like that!
Erv

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:00 AM »
Thx Erv... I thought the same thing the first time I read it..
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:50 AM »
I hope this is as encouraging to everyone as it is for me.

I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Everything I need to know, I learned from Noah's Ark.

ONE: Don't miss the boat.

TWO: Remember that we are all in the same boat!

THREE: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

FOUR: Stay fit. When you're 60 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.

FIVE: Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.

SIX: Build your future on high ground.

SEVEN: For safety's sake, travel in pairs.

EIGHT: Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.

NINE: When you're stressed, float awhile.

TEN: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.

ELEVEN: No matter the storm, when you are with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart

How inspiring!  I loved number ten, provides hope for all I would think. 

I was extremely disappointed when I found out that when my kids went to middle school/high school in the 90's, that home economics (sewing and cooking) had become a class called life skills, which didn't teach any sewing, barely touched on cooking (I think I remember them baking a batch of cookies, for goodness sake!).  Only my daughter is even barely capable of sewing a button back on a shirt.  How sad.  Atleast they were exposed to camping, fire making skills, some basic farming, woodworking, home-repairs, canning, hunting, fishing, etc. at home.  Now how I regret having not spent more time to try to encourage them to learn some more of these basic as well as the more advanced, almost forgotten, skills for survival.  (I really can't picture them being able to cook much more than hotdogs and marshmallows over an open fire.) With three children so close in age (all within 5 years) I can remember being so overwhelmed at times though I felt like my most important job on that old farm was just keeping them alive!  The crazy stuff they got into on a daily basis was enough to drive any young mother totally nuts...guess that explains a lot right there, now doesn't it?  And to really show my age, I can remember my grandmother insisting I learn the fine art of embroidery, with a beginners sampler at the age of six, and my mother saying "why bother with that, she'll never need to learn that!"  Thanks for bringing back that memory for me.......

errrv

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »
Enlightenme, you had to take 1 semester of home ec and 1 semester of vocational agriculture at my school. Mandatory for ALL boys & girls. When you graduated high school you could at least cook, clean, sew, iron, feed the cows & weld!
Good times.
Erv

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »
Same here, was able to do all the things Erv listed, plus hot wire a car. The last thing I learned in school, but it was in the parking lot, we didn't really have an instructor for that....  :D
-Will

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:19 AM »
Enlightenme, you were very brave to raise three kids that close of age on a farm. I have three and one on the way, and I'm going crazy just from protecting from things in the house. I couldn't imagine a farm... You definitely deserve something good on mothers day!!
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Willsorr.  It is nice that they do appreciate me, and this year I got the best gift of all on Mother's Day.  A Kindle, which led me to Marshall's books, which led me here to all of you....

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »
WOW, that's really cool. Who would have thought!!!! I'd have say that is a great gift.......
-Will

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
How about that..all meant to be I guess...P.S.  Congratulations, and I always had thought it would have been easier/more fun to have had four rather than three kids.  With three, it always seemed as if there was an odd man out so to speak.  Whenever I observed kids, two seem to pair up nicely to play, and three, well not so much.  Atleast it seemed that way to me anyway.  Try to enjoy your time with them, it really does go by so fast....

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
Thank you, We are really looking forward to having the fourth. It is true what you just said. Three is truly and odd number. We seemed to always be pulling them apart. I believe four will definitely change things for the better.

I do try to enjoy them as much as possible. I'm worried my work schedule is going to steal a lot time spent with them from me. We try to have movies nights once to twice a week. It's amazing how something so small like a movie night can bring so much joy to them...
-Will

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!