Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Videos - Survival Structures  (Read 12408 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Videos - Survival Structures
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
Socrates, thanks for the dome video, not sure how strong that is, but it is an invaluable thing to know how to build.

I think the reinforced geodesic domes, properly built should stand up to a lot. I would like to berm earth over a portion of it, too. Between the earth and the concrete , thinking that would keep out the solar problems, EMP, fireballs etc. Of course if it is a massive enough meteor strike or a massive tsunami it is a roll of the dice, (where these things hit) and partly elevation, who survives all that.
I don't think there are enough caves for people to seek refuge in, in the US, they exist in karst zones which can collapse, as we know. There are probably places in the world where the caves would hold up... perhaps Cappadocia.  I started a Topic on that, years ago... one page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/turkey/7979918/Cappadocia-guide-Turkeys-kingdom-of-caves.html

I do not see many alternatives to a well-built dome, I just do not. Holing up in a cave might work, with added structures to keep out predatory humans...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
PS RE Cappadocia, an excerpt:

"Across the region there are now around 30 underground cities and over a thousand rock-hewn churches. Mustafa, one of Ömer’s guides, took us to Kaymakli, which was started in the second century as a retreat from the Romans. It was like a city designed by little boys. There were rat runs, escape chutes, bottomless shafts, secret larders and massive millstone doors that rolled into place. We spent what seemed like hours clambering around its streets. “And yet,” said Mustafa, “you’ve only seen 20 per cent of it. This city extends eight stories underground…"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/turkey/7979918/Cappadocia-guide-Turkeys-kingdom-of-caves.html

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/357  Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia

http://www.moolf.com/travel/cappadocia-cave-hotel-yunak-evleri.html

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
Well, that's all I will post about the caves of Cappadocia, since we have a Topic about it (which I will have to find.)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 11:34:35 PM »
It is fair that a thread on survival structures should go into the topic of their validity in the first place. I did this in my previous post since it would just be a shame to go all out on building one that could not possibly do what you want it to do [just like buying in food without changing your diet].
if it is a massive enough meteor strike or a massive tsunami it is a roll of the dice, (where these things hit) and partly elevation, who survives all that.
I don't think there are enough caves for people to seek refuge in, in the US, they exist in karst zones which can collapse, as we know.
The rhetorical question "Who survives that?" should be answered for it separates the boys from the men. If you've done your homework you've heard of survivor tales from all over the world of a handful of people making it and being the progenitors of mankind. So they clearly didn't face a limited cataclysm scenario; why should we prepare for anything less? [Another rhetorical question that should be answered.]
As for there being enough caves, that's about you being in the right place at the right time and knowing which are good ones.

I have thought about Cappadocia a lot but in the end i do not know how old they are and if they will hold up. People get lost in numbers [i'll keep saying it], either refusing or forgetting to keep in mind that centuries or millennia mean very very little when talking about geological events and sites. So when millions-of-years-old stalactites/-mites can be found in a cave, you should RESPECT that fact, not dismiss it as a quaint rock formation; the fact that a stalactite has survived at a location is PROOF that said location is safe. The only other kind of proof i can think of are species that have evolved in a cave system, since that also takes a lot longer than for Planet X to come around (even a few times).
As to how many people will seek refuge in caves, i have found online that very very few people are serious about the choice to live. C'mon! How many people are active HERE?! This place (i.e. this forum) should be overrun by folks looking into the truth about this matter and putting their petty differences and preferences aside trying to find people to work together with! But it clearly is not and that's just like every other survival forum i've been a part of. So i wouldn't worry about 'cave space', certainly as far as the goods ones are concerned.
Also, your safe cave is necessary AFTER our year of hell following a killshot; how many people will even still be around by then, much less thinking about preparing for something to make their life seem like a walk in the park...?

If we are working from a 2016/beginning 2017 killshot scenario followed by a Planet X flyby in Dec. 2017, you might build yourself a good dome for surviving 2017 but you're going to be needing something more profound than a dome for surviving Planet X. Then, after the panultimate tribulation has passed, you can come up out of your cave and build a dome. "Why bother at that point?", you might ask. Well,
- domes are the most efficient form of building
- domes are wonderful structures to live in
- domes are strong and resilient and you don't know what you will face after the tribulation; it could take years for everything to settle down cosmologically and geologically
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:52:17 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 11:50:40 PM »
It is fair that a thread on survival structures should go into the topic of their validity in the first place. I did this in my previous post since it would just be a shame to go all out on building one that could not possibly do what you want it to do [just like buying in food without changing your diet].
if it is a massive enough meteor strike or a massive tsunami it is a roll of the dice, (where these things hit) and partly elevation, who survives all that.
I don't think there are enough caves for people to seek refuge in, in the US, they exist in karst zones which can collapse, as we know.
The rhetorical question "Who survives that?" should be answered for it separates the boys from the men. If you've done your homework you've heard of survivor tales from all over the world of a handful of people making it and being the progenitors of mankind. So they clearly didn't face a limited cataclysm scenario; why should we prepare for anything less? [Another rhetorical question that should be answered.]
As for there being enough caves, that's about you being in the right place at the right time and knowing which are good ones.

I have thought about Cappadocia a lot but in the end i do not know how old they are and if they will hold up. People get lost in numbers [i'll keep saying it], either refusing or forgetting to keep in mind that centuries or millennia mean very very little when talking about geological events and sites. So when millions-of-years-old stalactites/-mites can be found in a cave, you should RESPECT that fact, not dismiss it as a quaint rock formation; the fact that a stalactite has survived at a location is PROOF that said location is safe. The only other kind of proof i can think of are species that have evolved in a cave system, since that also takes a lot longer than for Planet X to come around (even a few times).
As to how many people will seek refuge in caves, i have found online that very very few people are serious about the choice to live. C'mon! How many people are active HERE?! This place (i.e. this forum) should be overrun by folks looking into the truth about this matter and putting their petty differences and preferences aside trying to find people to work together with! But it clearly is not and that's just like every other survival forum i've been a part of. So i wouldn't worry about 'cave space', certainly as far as the goods ones are concerned.

If we are working from a 2016/beginning 2017 killshot scenario followed by a Planet X flyby in Dec. 2017, you might build yourself a good dome for surviving 2017 but you're going to be needing something more profound than a dome for surviving Planet X. Then, after the panultimate tribulation has passed, you can come up out of your cave and build a dome. "Why bother at that point?", you might ask. Well,
- domes are the most efficient form of building
- domes are wonderful structures to live in
- domes are strong and resilient and you don't know what you will face after the tribulation; it could take years for everything to settle down cosmologically and geologically

Socrates this site gets thousands of page views from all over the world. People may not post much but they do come here looking for info, which we do the best we can to provide. Let's not downgrade it.

As for people deciding on locations and forming communities, Marshall is involved in that and it is touched upon in his videos and books and in his various groups. So people (can) go to Yowusa to find more info on that. I have posted up areas for groups in all the geographic topics. People can send private messages to other members, we cannot know for sure how many interactions like that are going on. I am not privy to the personal messages, even though I am an Administrator. So, let's not assume no one here is trying to reach out to other people.
Also- it can always be that people already have  - or are forming their own groups on the outside and need not post about it here, wanting to keep it confidential. This is a place to enable people to possibly find others, and mainly a place where people can share their ideas and learn.

As for domes possibly not serving the purpose, sure that could be said of anything, but I do not see anything stronger being offered up for an actual solution. It is understood it is a crap shoot who will survive and exactly how.  (We do have other topics and posts about other types of premade shelters etc. supposedly really strong.)

As far as survival, I am not yet where I need to be, either, and I wish you and everyone else the best of luck in getting where they need to be. :) I for one would rather be on a somewhat sturdy plateau, not overly high but above the rivers, in a partially buried reinforced dome, than in  any of the other types of house we have discussed. We do already have a whole topic about Aftertimes building and structures.

Let's try to get some videos up here, offering people the sturdiest choices we can find...
What you said about caves, sure I could have more respect for that. If people can survive in caves, more power to them. in the US, lots of locations with caves  are in national parks, with blocked access. Hopefully most people will find somewhere safe...
We cannot be totally sure what will happen and exactly where and when... all we can do is  offer info, as best we can... If you prefer to post about more temporary or easy to construct shelters, that's OK.  What I am looking for is data on what structures are likely to hold up to (what) etc. but what you have posted about quick shelters are invaluable.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
I edited my typos and re wrote it to make more sense and a friendlier tone, so if anyone read it , read it again, I just edited it at 11:55 PM PDT. :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 12:09:23 AM »
 :D
That's okay, Barb. We're talking survival, i think it's okay to get riled up once in a while...

I would like to add, though, that i don't consider the matter of survival a crap shoot. I did not sacrifice all since 2008 [and my vision of destruction and death] for a chance at survival. And i did not get to where i am today by avoiding the meta questions; there is data and logic, yes, and these are easily assuaged, but then there's research and common sense. Doing 'your bestest' and a gung ho attitude will not get you outta this one.
That's why i bother to elaborate on what i think about the sense of domes or other survival structures. I don't have to cater to other people's hopes by denying my own common sense estimates. The reader can choose.
As to numbers of survivalists, i refer back to my point about people getting lost in numbers.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 12:35:00 AM »
:D
That's okay, Barb. We're talking survival, i think it's okay to get riled up once in a while...

I would like to add, though, that i don't consider the matter of survival a crap shoot. I did not sacrifice all since 2008 [and my vision of destruction and death] for a chance at survival. And i did not get to where i am today by avoiding the meta questions; there is data and logic, yes, and these are easily assuaged, but then there's research and common sense. Doing 'your bestest' and a gung ho attitude will not get you outta this one.
That's why i bother to elaborate on what i think about the sense of domes or other survival structures. I don't have to cater to other people's hopes by denying my own common sense estimates. The reader can choose.
As to numbers of survivalists, i refer back to my point about people getting lost in numbers.

When I said a crap shoot in that post I did mention massive tsunamis and big meteor hits, so  that is a crap shoot. Many other factors we can do something about. I'm all for a discussion of that. We can separate out these topics, let's post about survival structures here.
Post here any concrete info you have and videos,  including what you DO think is actually better than a reinforced concrete dome!!
Barb T.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
I can't think of anything superior to a reinforced concrete dome. I fell in love with concrete domes about 15 years ago and have yet to hear of a better option.
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »
I can't think of anything superior to a reinforced concrete dome. I fell in love with concrete domes about 15 years ago and have yet to hear of a better option.

Oh that's good to hear...
Will be back soon,
Barb T.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Socrates, to clarify when I used massive tsunamis and crap shoot in the same sentence, I meant larger tsunamis than we would expect. Of course, getting away from the coastlines would increase chances of survival, I mean.
I really do feel you know a lot and you do have your own site, so please continue to share what you know. :)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »
I can't think of anything superior to a reinforced concrete dome.

But reinforced with non-conductive material.  If lightning strikes rebar (iron rods), the heat will make the metal expand and crack the concrete.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »
Bamboo?
survival database

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:12 PM »
Bamboo?

I had posted about GFR that might work and no metal.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »
Bamboo?
Not sure if the bamboo would hold up but I have read about bamboo concrete domes...

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!