Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Hopi desert homesteading  (Read 530 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Hopi desert homesteading
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 02:47:43 AM »
Wow, you really visit some interesting places Soc!  Will have to look up vetivers - am unfamiliar with them.  :)
Hi R.R.  I also was unfamiliar with vetivers until Socrates started posted about them:

Vetivers
https://planetxtownhall.com/index.php/topic,6357.msg91793.html#msg91793

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
Thanks for that link.  I found a size comparison image:

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:23 AM »
I wonder if the roots go down in proportion to the top growth?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
Thanks for that link.  I found a size comparison image:

This looks nearly identical to what hubby planted as Indian Grass, although maybe the I.G. is a bit shorter, and seed tops seem less reddish.  Will try to get a pic today.  But since it has seedheads it must not be the vetiver of which Soc speaks, which does not produce seed.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: vetiver
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:13 AM »
Viable seed...
The whole point about vetiver is that it roots down very deep and vertically.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: vetiver
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
Viable seed...
The whole point about vetiver is that it roots down very deep and vertically.
Hubby planted the Indian Grass in a very eroded area--he must have known that, as I didn't.  And interestingly, although over the years that area has been slowly revegetating, there are still bare spots (overgrazing by previous owner), and interspersed in the Indian Grass are some bare spots that I wondered about, thinking they looked more like paths.  Now I know--they're still bare, but the IG is slowly covering them.  Will definitely try to get a pic.

The Indian Grass is what is holding a lot of soil in place, that would otherwise have been lost to sheet erosion.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Vetiver forever! ;-)
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
Yes, Yowbarb, and credit where credit is due, talking/posting about the matter here encouraged me to do yet another Google search which led me to VetiverSpain.
It's good to be reminded and to be busy with these important issues and sometimes we just need some support to do what needs to be done even if we're already convinced it does need to get done.

For anybody who's forgotten how wonderful Vetiver is [or is wondering wtf i've gotten wound up about], let me list it's qualities one last time again:
- will survive on poor soil under harsh conditions [think drought]
- survives being cut down well [like by goats]
- roots down vertically many meters, creating a growing self-healing organic subterranean wall
- stops water and soil from washing away
- is a cheap, natural, self-regenerating tool for establishing terraces
- is sterile and therefore won't run amok
- supplies fragrant roots that can be used for making perfume or incense
There are vetiver enthousiasts spreading this amazing grass around the world because of it's qualities and potential. It is a whole vetiver movement, in fact. Erosion is such a big deal in growing food and vetiver is one of the ultimate tools in combatting this and changing land from being desolate to being fruitful and supportive.
Hell, you can even make a business out of this stuff, for the world still has a long way to go before vetiver has become redundant.
So one can plant one of these tiny plants [i.e. sprouts/clones/buds] and they mature into bunches of grass nearly 3 ft in diameter [i think in about 5 years]. They'll root down 30 ft [!] vertically; so imagine a row of these and imagine their underground impact...
I other words, it's a veritable underground and 'self-healing' terrace (that neither goats nor climate can usually destroy).
Hence why they've been popular in poor countries where goats roam free and terraces are  necessary to prevent erosion.

There is a worldwide vetiver movement because this clumpgrass is much more than the sum of its parts. And though peoples who have never heard of the term "permaculture" have taken advantage of what it has to offer, nonetheless what it offers can hardly be expressed to those who understand the value of sustainable agricultural practices.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...