Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Preparedness (Or Maybe Not!) Examples ..  (Read 511 times)

MadMax

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Preparedness (Or Maybe Not!) Examples ..
« on: November 02, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
Goor Article For Everyone Here!  ;)

Survival Lessons From A California Fire Evacuee

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/survival-lessons-california-fire-evacuee

As I type this, there are over 16 large wildfires currently burning across northern and southern California. Hundreds of thousands of residents have been displaced. Millions are without power.

Even though I write about preparedness for a living, fleeing your home in the dead of night with a raging inferno clearly visible on the horizon drives home certain lessons more effectively than any other means.

I’d like to share those learnings with you, as they’re true for any sort of emergency: natural (fire, flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, blizzard, etc), financial (market crash, currency crisis) or social (revolution, civil unrest, etc).

And I’d like you to be as prepared as possible should one of those happen to you, which is statistically likely.

Your survival, and that of your loved ones, may depend on it.

No Plan Survives First Contact With Reality!!!

As mentioned, I’ve spent years advising readers on the importance of preparation. Emergency preparedness is Step Zero of the guide I’ve written on resilient living — literally the first chapter.

So, yes, I had a pre-designed bug-out plan in place when the evacuation warning was issued. My wife and I had long ago made lists of the essentials we’d take with us if forced to flee on short notice (the Santa Rosa fires of 2017 had reinforced the wisdom of this). Everything on these lists was in an easy-to-grab location.

The only problem was, we were 300 miles away.

Reality Rule #1: You Will Be Caught By Surprise

There are too many variables that accompany an unforeseen disaster to anticipate all of them. Your plan has to retain enough flexibility to adapt to the unforeseen.

Reality Rule #2: Things Will Happen Faster Than You’re Ready For

Once an emergency is in full swing, things start happening more quickly than you can process well.

Even if developments are unfolding in the way you’ve anticipated, they come at an uncomfortably fast rate that adrenaline, anxiety and fatigue make even more challenging to deal with.

Just as The Crash Course chapter on Compounding explains how exponential problems unfold too fast to avoid once they become visible, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed or caught off-guard by the pace required to deal with a disaster.

Reality Rule #3: You Will Make Mistakes

Related to Rule #2 above, you’re going to bungle parts of the plan. Stress, uncertainty and fatigue alone pretty much guarantee it.

You’re going to forget things or make some wrong choices.

Case in point: as I was evacuating, the plan was to take a less-travelled back route, in order to reduce the odds of getting stuck in traffic. But, racing in the dark and checking in on the phone with numerous friends and neighbors, muscle memory took over and I found myself headed to the main road of town. Too late to turn back, I sat at the turn on, waiting for someone in the line of cars to let me in.

Reality Rule #4: When Stressed, All You Care About Is People & Pets
A good bug-out plan covers preparing to take essential clothes, food & water, medications, key documents, communications & lighting gear, personal protection, and irreplaceable mementoes.

But when the stakes escalate, you quickly don’t care about any of those. It’s only living things — people, pets & livestock — that you’re focused on.

The rest, while valuable to have in an evacuation, is ultimately replaceable or non-essential.

"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Preparedness (Or Maybe Not!) Examples ..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »
Secret to living well and longer.....

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Rant: stupidity during crisis
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
Goor Article For Everyone Here!  ;)

Survival Lessons From A California Fire Evacuee
I missed this post when first presented but i wholly concur. In fact, it's kinda my MO to let life throw it's sh!t at me and see what sticks to the wall...
And i've posted about similar arguments before, based on my personal experience with extreme stress situations. Indeed, when things really go sideways, it's the imaginary 'James Bonds' of the world that survive and the rest are 'stupid', i.e. we all overestimate our abilities beforehand but once TSHTF, all kinds of instincts kick in and we get overwhelmed.

This is why we need to plan!
This is why we have EDC [every day carry]
This is why we have to keep each other on our toes and challenge the assumptions we inadvertently make.

I dare say, this is why one IS a 'prepper' or not, meaning the real difference between a 'prepper' and other folks is conditioning. It's like the real difference between 'religious' folk and others, for when you leave the body and all of your egoic contructs disappear, where do you head? What's your (actual) focus? And that's where you wind up, that's what determines the rest of your existence. What part of your life is really YOU?
This is where the rubber meets the road. But we run into similar situations while alive, as well. I recently had a 'dream' in which i saw a heavenly body fill the sky, the end visibly and terribly near. I dare mention it because my reaction in said dream stayed with me [i.e. other than normal dreams that one forgets quickly]; in said 'dream'/vision i didn't know what to do and all i could think of was to climb into a steel trash container. I knew i was too far away from resources or safe locations. My goals were 100% immediate and instinctual. Things like this get me thinking; am i really more prepared than others?

Like in this 'dream/vision', location is everything. And if you're open to considering it, yeah, life comes at you sideways and you'd better be prepared ahead of times.
Being a 'prepper' is a way of life because of such considerations.
I just saw this movie in which a character said, more or less: 'Forget miracles and mercy; focus on what you need to do'
And this gets me thinking as well, since my experience is that life is raw and real, no matter our ideals or imaginations. In the end it gets rough and the men are separated from the boys, the wheat's separated from the chaff.
And the survivors will be separated from the preppers...

The true prepper, i think, is fearless and looks him/herself in the mirror without judgement or assumption, constantly pushing oneself to greater heights of preparedness. It's about letting go, mainly, i think. I'm reminded of what Markus Rothkranz says on rawfood veganism: It's mainly about what you STOP putting in your body; similarly, i think a 'real' prepper is mainly focused on what to STOP doing, i.e. acting like things'll work themselves out and all that hokey-pokey 'positive thinking' jazz.
Natural selection and history are not pretty, they aren't about 'happy endings'; reality is rough and raw. And real 'preppers' acknowledge this, learn from this and unabashedly proclaim this.
"I very well might have rolled the dice and stayed down at Cal Poly if it weren’t for the cat. But family is family, no matter how furry."
Because we care. Because, in the end, we're all about our loved ones making it through whatever happens. And real experiences like the one cited above showcase that that's ultimately what it's all about: it's about empathy. It's about being a human being who cares about others enough to let go of egoic considerations to allow survival to happen.

Yeah, i've been there; during moments of crisis, you're vulnerable and stupid. A real prepper also prepares against one's own limitations, assumes one will make dire mistakes if not prepared against them. A real prepper acknowledges that the worst threat to one's existence is one's own tendencies to make little of real threats.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:51:27 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

MadMax

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 04:54:11 AM »
The top 10 most important survival and prepping stories of 2019

https://bugout.news/2019-12-16-top-10-most-important-survival-prepping-stories-2019.html

With our world seemingly on the brink of some major calamities, it’s probably a good idea to get prepared. Here are 10 of the best ideas from this past year’s news lineup…

MadMax

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
Venezuelan Survivor: Important Things I Learned The Hard Way During The SHTF In Venezuela

http://www.survivaldan101.com/venezuelan-survivor-important-things-i-learned-the-hard-way-during-the-shtf-in-venezuela/

The economic collapse in Venezuela has grown up to a societal breakdown where the murder rate is 20 times higher than in the U.S.

Since the beginning of the crisis in Venezuela, they had to face extreme food shortages that lead to severe hunger, riots, a broken infrastructure amid an ongoing political and economic nightmare and a collapsed health care system being next to none existent.

The economic collapse in Venezuela has grown up to a societal breakdown where the murder rate is 20 times higher than in the U.S. ( Here you can find the first article in this series by the Venezuelan Survivor. )

It has been more than a week that I was not able to write anything. Two attempts for a new article ended up in a failure because of the power interruptions. The last time it went dark for almost three days.

Make no mistake, today everything is nice and bright, and tomorrow the hell unleashes without any warning. This happened here in Venezuela and in so many other places before. This is lesson number one: don’t take what you have now for granted!

Be ready to lose your preparation. You may read the above paragraph and say ”That won’t happen to me, I am prepared”. In April 2015 one of our wealthy neighbors lost his entire supplies. According to the Venezuelan government, they were ”hoarding” basic staples. This family, once they saw what was happening they begin to buy everything they could, making sure they will have enough for later on. I

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »
He makes a good point about not storing our preps all in one place.  Do you have any suggestions about how to do this if you only own one property?

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
He makes a good point about not storing our preps all in one place.  Do you have any suggestions about how to do this if you only own one property?
If you know of public property wuch as large swaths of national forests or parks, or state forests or parks, which have good-sized areas that are wild and full of brambles, overgrowth, etc., then think of scouting around in those areas for hiding places.

Also, think of hiding something "in plain sight".  Do you have an old, abandoned car or truck, the older the better, and the more rusted out, the better.  Maybe even an old farm tractor, rusted beyond use?  If you don't have one, find one and then bring it to your place and situate it directly over a storage place you've dug into the earth.  How many people would think that if they just moved that 70-year old rusted out tractor over there, they'd find enough food for a year?

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Interesting ideas Ilinda.  An old vehicle in a pasture could also double as a hen house!

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »
I love it/them!

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
 :)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
I missed this post Ilinda - Will save it to favorites!  :)

Secret to living well and longer.....

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 03:21:52 AM »
I love it/them!

I love those too...what a wonderful idea...

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW